Our Six-Point Plan for Educational Equity
Posted on July 28, 2010
By Beth Glenn, Director of NAACP Education Programs
On Monday June 26, the NAACP and a coalition of civil rights groups released a six-point plan for providing more educational equity in the next reauthorization of the nation's key education law. The Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights under Law,, NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc., National Council for Educating Black Children, National Urban League, Rainbow PUSH Coalition and the Schott Foundation for Public Education all collaborated on the document.
The plan calls for greater attention in the federal law to:
1. Fund schools equitably,
2. Make sure all students have the resources they need to meet high standards,
3. Ensure underserved students have access to great teachers,
4. Protect the voice of communities in school decisions,
5. make sure all schools are diverse and serve all students well, and
6. Ensure discipline is carried out fairly in schools.
Read the entire document here.