Y75: the NAACP Membership Challenge
Posted on May 20, 2011 by Jonathon Lewis, NAACP Field Fellow
In celebration of the 75th Anniversary of the Youth & College Division, The Youth & College and Membership Department will launch the first National Membership Campaign of the year. This campaign serves as a unique opportunity for NAACP units to honor and commemorate the Youth & College 75th Anniversary and its many accomplishments. The campaign seeks to grow membership in the Association with an emphasis in membership increase within the Youth & College.
Y75 is a challenge to all NAACP units to sell and report at least 75 new memberships or more by July 1, 2011. The campaign will commence May 2 through July 1, 2011. Branches who want to participate and receive recognition must have an active Youth Council and both must meet the 75 new member requirements by July 1, 2011
The Y75 Guidelines:
- Units interested in participating must register online at www.naacp.org. Each state will be responsible for assigning their state youth team captain and adult team captain. Team Captains will monitor progress and provide weekly reports.
- Units must report weekly on activities and outcomes of the campaign. Units are encouraged to forward photos of membership activities, videos and other snapshots, as a best practice portal to Jlewis@naacpnet.org
- Bi-Weekly calls will begin the week of May 13, 2011. State/State Area Conference Presidents are urged to encourage and support units who commit to participate.
- The top three units and team captains will be awarded and recognized at the National Convention. In addition, the top 10 State/State Area Conferences based on the highest membership increase will receive National accolades and acknowledgment.
- Eligible memberships must have an effective date of May 2, 2011 or later and must be reported to the National Office by July 1, 2011.
May the BEST Unit WIN! We encourage you to host membership drives, parties, cookouts, coalition meetings, – whatever it takes! We would like challenge each unit to get 75 New Members or More. Recognition to the top 10 state/state area conference will be announced at the national convention. The top three team captains and NAACP units will be awarded at the end of the campaign.
Participating Units will receive Y&C Membership kits. Kits will include the following: