Job Posting: Director, Web Campaigns and New Media
Vacancy Announcement – March 08, 2012
Position Location: Washington, DC
FLSA Status: Exempt
Founded in 1909, the NAACP is the nation's oldest and largest civil rights organization. Its members throughout the United States and the world are the premier advocates for civil rights in their communities, conducting voter mobilization and monitoring equal opportunity in the public and private sectors.
We are seeking a highly creative online activist and manager for a busy communications team. The Director, Web Campaigns and New Media will oversee our New Media department and be responsible for online strategy development, email campaign creation, mobile messaging strategy, project management, online media and grassroots outreach efforts. Experienced with leveraging blogs, social networking sites, and mobile and email list communications.
Summary of Duties:
The Director, Web Campaigns and New Media will work under the direct supervision of the Vice President of Communications and New Media and perform the following duties:
- Manage a creative four-person New Media team.
- Develop strategies for positioning the organization and our work online through viral marketing, social networking and other tools for organizing, engaging membership and increasing external excitement and support.
- Develop an email strategy and lead implementation of email campaigns.
- Develop interactive mobile messaging strategies that engage NAACP members, supporters and volunteers in all NAACP campaigns.
- Coordinate with the larger communications team to develop a plan and the tactics for a consistent and concerted online mobilization, outreach, fundraising and membership development.
- Manage the online “brand” of NAACP leaders, including the President and CEO, Chairman and key program heads.
- Design and develop strategies to grow online membership and fundraising.
- Build and grow the NAACP’s base of on-line supporters, mobile list subscribers, etc.
- Create and maintain partnerships with like-minded organizations and create opportunities for collaboration.
- Oversee day-to-day relationships with new media consultants.
- Develop training materials for regional and local NAACP units and chapters to utilize the web for effective advocacy and outreach
- Provide regular web content.
- Maintain the NAACP’s blog and facilitate guest blogging by NAACP program leaders on appropriate blogs.
- Oversee and mange the departmental budget.
- Maintain a climate that attracts, retains and motivates top quality staff.
- Perform all other duties as which may be assigned by the Vice President of Communications and New Media and the President & CEO.
The ideal candidate for this position will posses many, if not all, of the following professional qualifications, competencies and personal qualities:
- At least five years experience in directing online campaigns; developing strong website presence, and directing new media and social networking operations
- Strong and fast writing skills
- Ability to multitask
- Strong work ethic
- Accountability to goals
- Experience, energy and enthusiasm for innovation
- Strong management skills
- Tested experience managing budgets and supervising staff
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, especially writing and content creation
- Design experience, union, community, or political organizing experiences a plus
- Ability and willingness to work non-standard work hours, including evenings and weekends, as necessary
It is the continuing policy of the NAACP to take affirmative action to assure equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, marital status, familial status, family responsibility, pregnancy or other pregnancy-related conditions, childbirth, disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, religion or political affiliation, past convictions or incarceration, prior psychiatric treatment, or any other status protected by federal or state law, local ordinance or Executive Orders. The NAACP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To Apply: Resume, cover letter, writing sample, and salary requirements should be sent to NAACP:
Email: email@example.com (preferred method)
Mail: NAACP – Human Resources, 4805 Mt. Hope Drive, Baltimore, MD 21215
Fax: (410) 580-5735