Job Posting: Legal Support Specialist
Legal Support Specialist
Vacancy Announcement – April 27, 2012
Position Location: Baltimore, MD
FLSA Status: Exempt
Founded in 1909, the NAACP, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is the nation's oldest and largest civil rights organization. Its members throughout the United States and the world are the premier advocates for civil rights in their communities, conducting voter mobilization and monitoring equal opportunity in the public and private sectors.
We are seeking a highly motivated Legal Support Specialist to join the dynamic Legal Department team. The ideal candidate must be able to assist the department in providing legal and general assistance on a multitude of activities for the NAACP; to ensure maximum protections of the organization’s legal rights; and to maintain its operation within the limits prescribed by the law.
Summary of Duties:
The Legal Support Specialist under the direct supervision of the General Counsel, Deputy General Counsel, and/or the Special Assistant to the General Counsel will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Assist in coordinating meetings, managing calendars and assisting in meeting deadlines on cases.
- Assist in filing corporate, charitable and state registrations for the NAACP, NAACP Special Contribution Fund and NAACP Group.
- Prepare travel requests, per diem requests, car rental, expense reports, check requests and hotel reservations.
- Perform other administrative duties such as scheduling appointments, providing information to callers, taking dictation, transcribing minutes, composing and typing routine correspondence.
- Monitor and update the Legal Department website and Microsoft Sharepoint with pertinent data.
- Assist with maintenance of the case management system by inputting data and timekeeping.
- Perform such other related duties as may be assigned or delegated by the General Counsel, Deputy General Counsel, and/or Special Assistant to the General Counsel.
Ideal candidates for this position will possess many, if not all, of the following professional qualifications, competencies and personal qualities:
- At least five (5) years experience supporting a high-functioning, fast paced legal department
- Experience with non-profit and/or civil rights organization preferred
- Detail orientated and able to communicate effectively in oral and written forms
- Excellent typing, proofreading, grammar, spelling, and computer skills (Excel, MS Access, MS PowerPoint and MS Word)
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to work non-standard hours, as necessary
To Apply: Resume, cover letter, writing sample, and salary requirements should be sent to NAACP:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred method)
Mail: NAACP – Human Resources, 4805 Mt. Hope Drive, Baltimore, MD 21215
Fax: (410) 580-5735