Meeting Planner/Exhibits Manager
Reports to: Vice President, Events Planning
Location: Baltimore, MD
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Classification: Non-Union
Founded in 1909, the NAACP is the nation's oldest and largest civil rights organization. Its members throughout the United States and the world are the premier advocates for civil rights in their communities, conducting voter mobilization and monitoring equal opportunity in the public and private sectors.
The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), seeks a highly experienced Meeting Planner/Exhibits Manager to foster a culture of philanthropy within the Association.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Meeting Planner/ Exhibits Manager will be under the direct supervision of the Events Planning Vice President, and will be located in the Baltimore National Office. The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assist the Vice President in planning the Annual Convention, as well as meetings and conferences within the National Office, Board Meetings, Committee meetings and special events such as the Spingarn Dinner and the NAACP Image Awards.
- Solicit exhibitors for the Annual Convention Commerce & Industry Show. Maintains a working relationship with current exhibitors and increase exhibitor base. Works cooperatively with NAACP Development Office to insure that sponsors receive benefits associated with their sponsorships
- Manages minority vendor program at the Annual Convention.
- Manages Author Pavilion at the Convention to insure that authors and pavilion contractor receive all necessary information
- Assists in mailings to branches and other units regarding the Annual Convention, Board Meetings, Annual Meeting and other NAACP events as well as to insure that they are mailed in a timely fashion during the year.
- Responsible for logistics, housing, meals and travel for Religious Leaders Summit, NAACP Resolution Committee Meeting
- Completes plans and arrangements for exhibit hall; provides housing information, contracts, etc., for exhibitors and potential participants in a timely fashion.
- During annual conventions, maintains registration/service desk, coordinates arrangements and support services required by exhibitors. Works with official convention decorator to ascertain that exhibit hall is run in an efficient and orderly manner with adequate security.
- Performs any other duties as assigned by the Events Planning Vice President, the President and CEO or the Chief Operating Officer.
- The ideal candidate for this position will possess many, if not all, of the following professional qualifications, competencies and personal qualities:
- Bachelors degree in business, marketing, hospitality management, or related field preferred
- 5-7 years experience in Event Management or related field is required
- Strong computer skills, especially Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Proven negotiating skills with hotels, entertainers, and other event vendors
- Ability to problem solve and work independently in a changing and multi-tasking environment with numerous deadlines
- Ability to collaborate effectively with team members
- Excellent organizational, planning and project management skills, as well as time management and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to prepare accurate budgets and effectively manage expenses
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to travel is required
It is the continuing policy of the NAACP to take affirmative action to assure equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, marital status, familial status, family responsibility, pregnancy or other pregnancy-related conditions, childbirth, disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, religion or political affiliation, past convictions or incarceration, prior psychiatric treatment, or any other status protected by federal or state law, local ordinance or Executive Orders. The NAACP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To Apply: Resume, cover letter, and salary requirements should be sent to NAACP:
Email: email@example.com (preferred method); Mail: NAACP – Human Resources, 4805 Mt. Hope Drive, Baltimore, MD 21215; Fax: (410) 580-5735