Senior Communications Associate
Vacancy Announcement – January 17, 2013
Position Location: Washington, DC
Job Level: 4
Travel: Frequent , often with minimal advance notice
Union Status: Non member
Founded in 1909, the NAACP is the nation's oldest and largest civil rights organization. Its members throughout the United States and the world are the premier advocates for civil rights in their communities, conducting voter mobilization and monitoring equal opportunity in the public and private sectors.
Summary of Duties:
The Senior Communications Associate will report to the Director of Communications and other staff as designated on various projects. Duties include:
- Draft and edit remarks, speeches and scripts on behalf of NAACP leaders
- Regularly travel to public events with NAACP executives to manage press opportunities
- Author and edit editorials for publication in top tier news outlets
- Prepare talking points and briefing materials
- Write statements on behalf of senior leaders
- Provide logistical support of media events
- Support social media outreach in coordination with the Digital Media Department
- Perform outreach (pitching) and relationship development with media
- Prepare press kits and communications infrastructure
- Provide limited administrative support and all other tasks as requested by Communications Director or Vice President for Communications & Digital Media
The ideal candidate for this position will possess many, if not all, of the following professional qualifications, competencies and personal qualities:
- BA in communications, journalism, political science or related field preferred.
- Two-five years’ experience in communications/public relations (campaign experience helpful)
- Exceptional writing skills
- Ability to frequently travel, often with minimal notice
- Experience developing and editing high-quality written materials, including: fact sheets, talking points, statements, etc
- Proven experience working with reporters
- Experience writing on deadlines or under pressure
- Proficiency with social media tools including Twitter and Facebook
- Familiarity with Excel, PowerPoint and other standard software
- Understanding of brand management strategy
- Problem solver who works extremely well with others, but can execute independently
- Results-focused approach to success and commitment to going the extra mile.
- Ability to effectively multitask is required.
- Energy and enthusiasm as well as an interest in social change issues and advocacy
It is the continuing policy of the NAACP to take affirmative action to assure equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, marital status, familial status, family responsibility, pregnancy or other pregnancy-related conditions, childbirth, disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, religion or political affiliation, past convictions or incarceration, prior psychiatric treatment, or any other status protected by federal or state law, local ordinance or Executive Orders. The NAACP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To Apply: Resume, cover letter, and salary requirements should be sent to NAACP:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred method)
Mail: NAACP – Human Resources, 4805 Mt. Hope Drive, Baltimore, MD 21215
Fax: (410) 580-5735