ACT NOW! Rockford Police Shooting Shows Need for Federal StandardsDecember 31, 1969
It has been two months since Mark Barmore was shot down by police officers at a Rockford, Illinois daycare center. Witness reports indicate that he was shot three times in the back, in full view of the children at the center. Mr. Barmore’s death has become a symbol of a startling lack of accountability in far too many local police forces.
You Can Help! On Saturday, October 3rd, join NAACP President Benjamin Jealous, along with the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition, Amnesty International, the National Baptist Convention, the NAACP Illinois State Conference and the NAACP Rockford Branch for a major mobilization to combat police violence. Click here for details. We will be marching for:
- Justice for Mark Barmore,
- Counseling for the children who witnessed shooting, and
- Legislation to create Federal use-of-force standards.
We hope you can join us, but if you cannot make it to the event, you can still help:
- Sign our petition demanding a full investigation into the shooting by the Department of Justice, and legislation to mandate federal standards for the use of force by police officers, and
- Sign on to our Facebook page for the latest news, photos and action opportunities from the Rockford rally.