Board Member: Reverend Morris L. Shearin, Sr.
Reverend Morris L. Shearin, Sr. was born in Northampton County, North Carolina. He is a graduate of Shaw University (Raleigh, NC), where he received both a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy & Religion and a Master of Divinity. In May 1981, he earned a Doctorate of Ministry from Howard University School of Divinity (Washington, DC).
- Pastor, Israel Baptist Church, Washington, DC
- President, Baptist Convention of DC and Vicinity
- Member, National Board of Directors of the NAACP
- Chairman, NAACP National Convention (2006)
- Chairman, Project Labor Agreement Task Force, Washington, DC
- Member, Judicial Nomination Committee, Washington, DC
- Invited Guest, 2008 African American Labor Leaders Economic Summit on Labor and Religion, Harvard Law School
- Past-President, DC Branch of the NAACP
- Outstanding Citizen Award, Metropolitan Washington Council AFL-CIO (2005)
- Member, Shaw University Theological Alumni Association
- Member, Howard University National Theological Alumni Association
- Past-President, Howard University National Theological Alumni Association
- Member, Board of Directors for the Stoddard Baptist Home
- Secured commercial and public funding for $12M Life Learning Center (expansion program)
- Led several tours in “The Land of the Bible” (including Israel and Greece)
For his tireless and unselfish efforts to advance the kingdom of God on earth, Rev. Shearin has received numerous other awards and citations from religious, civic, and government organizations in his home-state of North Carolina and in the Washington metropolitan area.
Rev. Shearin is married to the former Bertha M. Cotton of Northampton County, North Carolina. They have two loving and supportive children, Felicia and Morris (Jr.), and two adoring granddaughters, Morgan and Alana. Pastor Shearin is also the father of Carolyn and the grandfather of Julia and Jamel.