Board Member: Lamell McMorris
Lamell McMorris is the founder and CEO of the Washington, DC-based group of companies bearing the Perennial name: Perennial Strategy Group, Perennial Sports and Entertainment, and Perennial Law Group. In his work, Mr. McMorris offers strategic insight and external affairs services to some of the nation’s leading decision-makers in the private, public, and nonprofit sectors. Additionally, he manages an in-house team of experienced government and public relations professionals, lawyers, and sports agents, offering a multitude of services to clients in a wide range of disciplines and specialty areas.
Mr. McMorris’s unparalleled expertise in government and community affairs, strategic consulting, political campaigns, policy-making, grassroots advocacy, and broad-based coalition building has earned the Perennial companies acclaim inside the beltway and around the nation. Under Mr. McMorris’s stewardship, the Perennial companies have developed deep and sustained relationships with influential leaders and decision makers across a wide range of constituencies.
In serving its clients, Perennial Strategy Group (PSG) draws on expansive relationships with federal elected officials, federal agencies, state and local governments, and local and national nonprofits. Mr. McMorris utilizes his experience in government relations at the local and federal level, public affairs, crisis management, and corporate social responsibility to design strategic events, government relations plans, advocacy campaigns, and results-driven initiatives for PSG’s clients.
Perennial Sports and Entertainment (PSE) is a full service agency that, under the leadership of Mr. McMorris, employs an innovative team of attorneys, former professional athletes, and marketing and public relations professionals. PSE effectively represents numerous artists, entertainers, media personalities, and professional athletes, including the NFL’s #1 Draft Pick in 2011 – Cam Newton.
Perennial Law Group (PLG) is a law practice specializing in contract negotiations, representing trade associations and professional unions. In recent years, Mr. McMorris served as the lead negotiator for the Major League Baseball Umpires Union and the National Basketball Association’s Referees Union, where he played a key role in shaping collective bargaining agreements between the officials and their respective leagues.
He is an active and effective fundraiser, and, drawing on his wide network of prominent athletes, entertainers, and activists, has driven Perennial to raise significant financial contributions for charitable causes across the nation. Feature pieces about McMorris and Perennial have appeared in The New York Times, on ESPN, and in Referee: The Magazine for Sports Officials.
Mr. McMorris is a lifelong advocate for those less fortunate than himself and is constantly looking to help improve the condition of our nation’s most disadvantaged communities. He serves on the boards of numerous civil rights organizations and volunteers his time with several youth service and mentoring organizations. For his service, charisma, and dedication, Mr. McMorris is frequently honored by advocacy and nonprofit organizations and invited to speak at a wide range of conferences and events.
- Princeton Theological Seminary, M. Div., Social Ethics and Public Policy Concentration (1998)
- Morehouse College, B.A., Religion and Society (1995)
Selected Professional Experience
- Southern Christian Leadership Conference, Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer
- Chicago Urban League, Youth Development Initiative, Director
- Redeem the Dream March on Washington, DC, National Coordinator
Honors, Awards, and Speeches
- National Action Network, Keepers of the Dream Entrepreneurial Award, 2011
- Morehouse College, Homecoming Crown Forum, Keynote Speaker, 2011
- Children’s National Medical Center, Serving the Nation’s Children Award, 2011
- Crozer-Chester Medical Center, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Remembrance Event
- Keynote Speaker, 2008
- Ebony Magazine, “30 Leaders of the Future, 30 and Under”, 1998
Philanthropy and Advocacy
- NAACP National Board of Directors, Member
- Elmhurst College, Member of the Board of Trustees
- National Action Network, Member of the Board of Directors
NAACP: Diamond Life Member; Special Contribution Fund Board, Trustee; Legal
Committee Member; Image Awards Committee, Member; Economic Development
- Rainbow PUSH, Member of the Board of Directors
- National Urban League, Member
- Life Pieces to Masterpieces, Member of the Board of Trustees
Business and Civic Associations
- Regions Financial Corporation, Diversity Advisory Council Member o Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Life Member
- Morehouse College National Alumni Association, Member
- Chicago 2016 Olympic Bid Committee, Member
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Washington Government Relations Group, Member o Washington Board of Trade, Member